Director of the Twardowski Career Development Center
West Chester University of Pennsylvania
February 12, 2018
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Full Time - Experienced
Join a vibrant campus community whose excellence is reflected in its diversity and student success. West Chester University of Pennsylvania invites applications for the position of Director of the Twardowski Career Development Center.
The Director of the Twardowski Career Development Center oversees the staff, budget, facilities, services, programs and operations of a comprehensive career development office, serving all students (from first-year through Doctoral level) and alumni. The services of the office provide students with career counseling, programs and information regarding career exploration, career readiness and the job search process that encompasses a wide scope of majors/fields/industries, and graduate/professional school opportunities. Additionally, the office develops contacts with the community and employers in business, industry, government, health care, social/human services, retail, education, technology, sciences, hospitality, and the arts. The Director interacts with employers, students, faculty, staff, and administrators, and gathers, interprets, and disseminates information on careers, labor market trends, and employment statistics. The Director provides leadership in initiating new programs and technological advances to better serve the needs of students, alumni, and employers.
· Supervise seven professional staff members and provide leadership to staff members in their supervision of graduate and undergraduate student employees.
· Lead departmental strategic planning efforts and ensure all programs and initiatives are aligned with the mission, goals and strategic plans of the Student Affairs division and the institution.
· Oversee the Career Development Center’s EG operating budget, the Twardowski Endowment Fund, and Career Fair accounts. Initiate ideas for additional revenue streams including grants, donations and other sources of funding.
· Provide leadership and guidance in developing polices, operating procedures, and assessment of programs.
· Participate in ongoing review of office services and resources via internal and external (PASSHE Program Review, Middle States, NACE, etc.) expectations. Work with Institutional Research office on surveying recent graduates.
· Continually review andupdate career resources for use by students, alumni, and employers, and maintain office website and links to Internet resources.
· Play a direct role in establishing and maintaining networks to cultivate new employers, and provide leadership to Associate Director and other staff in outreach efforts to employers and the community.
· Be a strong advocate for the department and its programs, and foster collaborations with other departments and divisions.
· Supervise an employer relations team that directly manages, organizes and delivers employer programs and activities, and encourage interaction between employers, faculty, and administration regarding employment needs, student preparation, and labor market trends.
· Communicate with President’s Council, Council of Chairs, Deans/Associate Deans and other campus leadership about department services and programs.
· Work with community groups, organizations, private enterprises, and the WCU Offices of Advancement/Alumni Affairs to support outreach activities to corporate sponsors and external constituencies.
· Supervise a variety of programs and services promoting linkages with employers and University students/alumni through on-campus recruiting, career fairs, employer information sessions, and resume referral services.
· Supervise staff in their efforts to promote the availability of career services for students through individual appointments and group presentations, assisting students in assessing their skills, interests, and experiences as they relate to career plans.
· Encourage, facilitate and develop opportunities for the professional development of all staff members.
· Master’s degree in related field with at least 5-7 years of related professional experience
· Extensive knowledge of the career development field, including current trends and necessary offerings in a higher education setting
· Direct involvement with providing career development services to students, faculty, staff, alumni and employers within a higher education environment, including program planning, facilitation of workshops, advocacy, and assessment of student learning/outcomes
· Demonstrated ability to coach and supervise the duties of professional staff, graduate students, and student employees
· Demonstrated ability and strong interpersonal skills to work in a diverse, multicultural campus environment with individuals and groups representing a wide array of backgrounds, identities, life experiences and communication styles
· Ability to take initiative, problem solve and work independently with good judgment about when to seek direction
· Ability to juggle many different projects simultaneously, with consistent accuracy, follow-through, and timely completion of projects
· Demonstrated experience in the creation and implementation of successful, innovative, educational programming and training
· Previous budget management and fiscal oversight at the department level
· Doctorate degree in related field with 10+ years of related professional experience
Considerable experience with public speaking, leading training sessions, and presenting to diverse audiences
Extensive experience supervising professional staff, graduate students and student employees
Considerable experience cultivating and maintaining employer and alumni relationships
Significant experience and skill providing interpersonal advising and group facilitation
· Experience with online outreach and current technology