Associate Director for Career Development and Outreach
St. Cloud State University Career Center
August 28, 2018
St. Cloud, Minnesota
Commensurate with qualificatio
Full Time - Experienced
The Career Center’s mission is to provide career exploration assistance, internship and employment resources to students and alumni, create partnerships to support students in their career transitions and promote life-long career engagement. The Associate Director for Career Development and Outreach provides administrative and service functions for the Career Development and Outreach functional unit within the Career Center, its services and resources.
This position provides supervisory functions including assigning work and completing performance evaluations for the Assistant Director for Career Development and Outreach, Graduate and Undergraduate positions.
This position builds partnerships, manages relationships and works with academic units, colleges and schools and subsequent student service departments to build relationships and encourage career development alliances acting as the university’s expert in these areas.
The Associate Director for Career Development and Outreach facilitates implementation of policies and procedures in support of university wide requests for individual and group career counseling including administration of career assessment tools reaching out to students and alumni each year.
The Associate Director works with and understands career development emerging issues, trends and best practices.
The position demonstrates leadership in creating career knowledge and opportunities for students, fostering faculty and staff.
The position organizes information about the world of work and provides a systematic approach to make career development opportunities accessible to a diverse population.
The position works with faculty in engaging and encouraging students to learn the attitudes, knowledge and skills needed to develop satisfying and productive careers and make a smooth transition from the University to work.
The position distributes career information to any and all key players who interface with students.
The position is an advocate for and enables career development inclusion across disciplines through collaboration with students, faculty, staff, employers and the community.
The position understands and appreciates cultural diversity in all of its many inclusive defined manifestations and the ways the career counseling process unfolds.
· Master’s Degree in Counseling, College Student Development, Higher Education, Student Affairs or related area and/or 5 years of career development experience or related work in a comprehensive career center at a professional level position in a higher education setting; relationship development and management; working as a member of a team.
· Demonstrated skills and abilities to teach and work with persons from culturally diverse backgrounds
· Evidence of skills and experiences in a college environment relating to career development and student outreach
· Demonstrated skills in career counseling and career assessments
· Demonstrated excellence and creativity in program development and oral and written communication skills
· Knowledge of leading edge technologies and experience with use of technology to enhance career programming and utilizing web programs to enhance student career development. Examples: on-line presentation development, social media utilization, appointment management systems, career assessments and conducting career research information
· Knowledge of practices and procedures related to educational outreach and retention
· Demonstrated ability to collaborate with colleagues across departmental lines
· Experience with supervisory functions of staff and/or students.
· Ability to set short and long term goals to fulfill the University’s mission to prepare students for life and work in the 21st century.