$20.67 - $22.12 per hour, DOE + excellent benefits.
FT; Mon-Fri; 8am-5pm. Some evening and weekend work required.
The Assistant Director for Career & Experiential Learning is responsible for cultivating and connecting students and alumni to opportunities for expression of vocation through career advising, learning, and engagement. This position oversees the Academic Internship/Cooperative Education program at PLU and provides comprehensive internship services and support for PLU students and alumni in collaboration with key campus partners. The position serves as a career advisor to assist students and alumni in making informed choices relative to career, vocation, academic and life planning. Reports to the Director of Career, Learning & Engagement.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
· Collaborate with faculty and academic departments to identify and promote opportunities and relationships with employers who support the academic mission of PLU with internship or co-op experiences.
· Advise students on clarifying academic/career goals, employable skills, and searching for internships, connecting with employers, preparing applications, interviews, etc.
· Administer and interpret career inventories.
· Help students develop and refine resume writing, interviewing, and job-search skills.
· Cultivate the program’s employer base, internships from alumni, and other appropriate internships through site visits, professional organizations, and meetings.
· Facilitate accurate and complete academic internship registration. Resolve registration issues.
· Facilitate completion of learning agreements for academic credit.
· Prepare and maintain resource guides for students, faculty, and employers; develop and maintain an effective, interactive website.
· Oversee internship program marketing for employers, students, and alumni.
· Maintain internship job board and data systems to assure highly accurate information.
· Develop and lead programs, presentations, workshop on internships and career related topics.
· Monitor program compliance on the applicable local, state and federal laws, policies, procedures and regulations including conducting visits to work locations to ensure integrity of program guidelines.
· Provide technical assistance on matters related to the program; set priorities for and coordinate the operation of the program; make professional and ethical decisions and implement policies and procedures that ensure consistency and equity.
· Foster an appreciation for cultural and programmatic diversity of learning experiences and facilitate communication and involvement with program constituents to promote inclusiveness.
· Develop internship training and orientations for supervisors and mentors as well as professional development workshops and courses for students.
· Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, & ABILITIES:
· Ability to effectively convey program procedures to students, alumni, faculty, and employers.
· Wide-ranging knowledge and understanding of employment and employment regulations.
· Ability to build and maintain relationships and work effectively with a broad range of internal and external constituents including students, employers, alumni, faculty, and staff.
· Ability to communicate both in writing and orally to any audience.
· Strong customer service skills and diplomatic tact.
· Creativity in promoting internships and the internship program to students, alumni, and employers.
· Ability to interact with students and alumni to discern their needs and preferences in seeking an internship.
· Strong understanding of relevant theoretical and research bases for career development, including needs for individuals with special needs (handicaps), minorities, older job-seekers, etc.
1. Bachelor’s degree.
2. 1 year of job-related experience.
3. Finalist applicant must satisfactorily complete pre-employment background check.
· Master’s degree.
· Experience in a career office or college/university work setting.
· Experience with database management, alumni development, and career services-related software.