The Assistant Director is responsible for advising, managing, and supporting students throughout their job search process. This individual partners with others to develop and implement programs and services such as employer recruitment, information sessions, and group presentations, designed to foster purposeful connections between students, alumni, and employees.
1. Promote Franciscan ideals and adherence to the Mission of the University as demonstrated by the University Ideal Characteristics. As we are an equal opportunity employer committed to Franciscan values, all employees share responsibility for advancing diversity, equity, and inclusion in the performance of their roles while demonstrating service orientation, respect for all, intellectual curiosity, solution focus and innovation, and mutual accountability.
2. Assist students and alumni in clarifying academic and career goals through individual coaching
3. Critique resumes and advise students/alumni about all aspects of the job search and assist them in using the career resource library, Career Development website, online resources, etc.
4. Develop, manage, and deliver Career Development-sponsored events for students and alumni such as networking events, recruitment events, career fairs, roundtable events, and speakers; Conduct assessments to evaluate program(s) effectiveness; apply findings for program improvement
5. Maintain effective communication with employers, faculty, staff and students; create effective marketing strategies/materials to increase participation in Career Services events
6. Coordinate college specific outreach, programming, and customized seminars/workshops/programs based on student needs assessment and faculty requests. Work with and advise faculty/college administrators to enhance the quality of experiential learning/career development and to expand departmental participation.
7. Work with the University's Office of Alumni and Parent Relations to promote alumni engagement with students and opportunities for alumni and parents to participate and engage with students in career-related events.
8. Manage online career management platform - Handshake: oversee all new and existing employer accounts, job and internship postings; approve and post career events; post and manage career fairs and employer registrations; maintain and update employer contact information; etc.
9. Assist in the collection and analysis of outcomes and recruitment data, develop reports utilizing Handshake and other
10. Assist with social media and develop relevant content to promote office services, events, and career related topics.
Staff Training/ Peer Editors/ Student Employment
11. Maintain direct responsibility for Peer Editors including the recruitment, selection, assessment of services, and development of learning objectives
12. Oversee the training and ongoing supervision of Peer Editors in respect to knowledge of resources, office policy and procedures, student advising, resume review, and assigned projects
13. Develop initiatives and resources to ensure student employees are provided with the training and experience needed to meet their career and educational objectives.
1. Teach a one-credit internship preparation course
2. Assist Director in the management of the University’s Internship initiatives
3. Participates in major HCCGE and University events as requested by the Director, HCCGE, Provost or President.
4. Represents HCCGE on committees and events as designated or approved by the Director.
1. Commitment to the mission statement, core values and goals of Alvernia University.
2. 12-month full time administrative position with Master’s Degree preferred and Driver’s License required.
3. Experience in higher education or demonstrated experience working with students, faculty and community partners and diverse populations. Knowledge of higher education, and vocational education is desired.
4. Working knowledge of best practices in career development.
5. Excellent writing, public speaking and proven PC skills, including web development and social media.
6. Ability to complete multiple tasks simultaneously, independently and as part of a team, while maintaining positive relationships with faculty, staff, students, alumni and community partners.
7. Attendance is required in order to perform the duties of this job.
8. Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer.