The School of Social Sciences seeks an exceptionally well qualified individual to serve as the assistant director of employer relations and professional development for the School’s Professional Masters programs. The assistant director is expected to take the lead in developing strong relationships with employers to actively assist masters-level students in degree-required internships during their course of study, and assist with securing full-time employment upon graduation.
The assistant director will work within a collaborative and fast-paced environment to build relationships with future employers. Specific focus is on identifying, cultivating, and establishing new relationships with employers that do not have current campus recruiting relationships. They will attend employer-facing events such as conferences, roundtables, and panel discussions.
The assistant director for employer relations and professional development would ideally have experience working in higher education career services or corporate recruiting.
Please attach a cover letter and a resume in the Supporting Documents section of the application. In addition, as a writing sample, please draft an email inviting an employer to participate in an upcoming orientation panel for incoming students to discuss how to be successful in the professional master's program and beyond. The writing sample should be sent directly to the Talent Acquisition team, at email@example.com , using "Assistant Director for Employer Relations and Professional Development" in the subject line.
- Advises students and recent alumni on internship, employment and graduate / professional school options
- Conducts Career Development Workshops and devise new curriculum when needed
- Conducts educational / informational sessions for faculty and staff
- Coordinates specialized job / information fairs; assist with the coordination of on-campus recruiting activities; maintains contact and exchanges information with corporations and government organizations
- Represents Rice at professional associations and meetings
- Tracks progress and develops new outreach, training, or approaches as needed
- Produces progress reports on program initiatives
- Develops print and online reports and written resources
- Researches and reports on best practices of career counseling
- Assists with maintenance of current or proposed electronic and social media resources
- Develops programs to assist students in researching and obtaining internship opportunities
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Implements a year-round strategy to identify and place Masters students in internships and full-time employment opportunities
- Develops and manages placement relationships across a wide spectrum of graduate recruiters including federal and state government agencies, Houston-based firms, alumni recruiters, Fortune 500 companies, banking firms, consulting practices and international nonprofit firms
- Plans, manages, administers, maintains, and updates general employer databases for employer recruitment mailings and takes lead on all mailings/outreach/surveys to employers
- Analyzes and interpret historical recruiting data and extrapolate recruiting trends
- Actively places Masters students in internships
- Guides and counsels Masters students throughout their internship and job search process
- Assists students to develop and refine realistic, implementable job search strategies that lead to successful internship and permanent employment
- Confidentially reviews student resumes, cover letters, and application materials for factual accuracy as well as compliance with employer and industry requirements
- Works collaboratively across Rice University to leverage appropriate networks to schedule on campus interviews, job fairs, and workshops
- Assists with collection and input of data for exit and graduate employment surveys
- Master’s degree
- Experience in corporate recruiting/human resources
- Experience working in higher education career services
Rice University HR | Benefits?
Rice Mission and Values
Mission and Values | Rice University
Rice University is an Equal Opportunity Employer with commitment to diversity at all levels, and considers for employment qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status.